Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is inviting applications for OWSD Early Career Fellowship. The fellowship is open to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects.
The fellowship programme supports early career women scientists to lead important research projects in those countries which have been identified as especially lacking in scientific and technological resources.
The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is an international non-profit organization based on the offices of the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) in Trieste, Italy, a programming unit of UNESCO.
- Application Deadline: 30 April 2019
- Course Level: The fellowship is open for a Ph.D. degree program
- Scholarship Award: The OWSD Early Career Fellowship is for two years and provides up to USD 50,000
- Numbers of Award: Not Known
- Nationality: Applicants must have been resident in one of the Science and Technology Lagging Countries.
- Scholarship can be taken in Italy
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible countries: Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries.
- Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Dem Rep. Congo, Djibouti, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Kiribati, Lao People’s Dem Rep., Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip), Paraguay, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Eligible STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible to apply for the OWSD Early Career Fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years.
- The 5 years do not have to be consecutive
- The countries may vary slightly each year (always check the current list)
- Applicants can be citizens of any country, provided that the above residence requirement is fulfilled
- Eligible employment:
- At the time of application, applicants must provide proof of being employed at the university or research institute where the research project will be carried out. If employment has not yet commenced, proof of employment offer and confirmation of acceptance is required
- The institution where the research project will be carried out must be in one of the listed STLCs.
- Applicants must provide evidence that they will receive a salary from their university/research institute for the duration of the two-year fellowship.
- Research project proposals from other fields (social science, education, etc.) are not eligible and will not be taken into consideration.
- Eligible academic qualification
- Ph.D. in one of the above-listed study fields. Ph.D. awarded not more than 10 years prior to application.
How to Apply:
- To apply, the applicants must submit an online application through the link: http://onlineforms.twas.org/apply/82
The university strongly encourages eligible applicants to start gathering all requested documentation as soon as possible. The documents listed below may take some weeks to prepare, especially when they require official signatures. Applicants must submit:
- A scanned copy of the passport page containing personal details (photo, document number etc).
- Passport-size portrait photo
- Proof of residence
- Ph.D. certificate: A scanned copy of the Ph.D. certificate or proof of Ph.D. issued by the University.
- Proof of employment
- Complete updated CV.
- A complete list of publications.
- Applicants must submit two (2) reference letters; at least one must be from a senior scientist familiar with the applicant’s recent research.
- The letters must include the referee’s contact details for follow up from the Selection
- Supporting statement of the head of the applicant’s institution
- The applicant may wish to provide additional documents which provide evidence of skills, qualities or actions described in the research project (e.g. certificate of awards, memberships etc).
The OWSD Early Career Fellowship is for two years and provides up to USD 50,000.