International students who want to study at Chinese universities must meet the requirements set out by both the Chinese government and the university they apply to. On this page is a comprehensive China University admission requirements for foriegn students.
Read More About: Loughborough University Great China Scholarships in UK, 2019
Requirements of the Chinese Government
For more information regarding the requirements of the Chinese Government, please visit the Ministry of Education or China Scholarship Council.
- Applicant must be a real student, must hold a student or visitor visa;
- No criminal record. Applicants from some countries are requested to provide a non-criminal certificate notarized and certified by the Chinese Embassy;
- Some official sectors restrict the number of applicants from certain countries;
- Applicants should have the appropriate qualifications and be able to meet all the requirements (in accordance with the school requirements), be in a reliable financial state and have a guarantor in China;
- Transfer students need to provide the agreement certificate between the two schools.
Requirements of China’s Universities
In accordance with different levels of degree, Chinese universities have different requirements for all enrollees. Before applying, you must carefully review these requirements.
- Usually, non-degree language and culture programs have minimum requirements; as long as you have obtained a high school diploma, you can apply for admission.
- Chinese-medium degree courses (i.e. degree courses taught in Mandarin Chinese) require the applicant to provide HSK examination results to prove their Chinese language proficiency. Applicants for master’s degrees also need to provide a copy of transcripts and recommendation letters.
- English-medium courses do not require HSK exam results. Instead, applicants for English-medium courses should provide recognized English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. (English native speakers or those who hold an academic degree taught in English need not provide test scores).
- More and more universities are starting to offer international programs taught in English. These programs will no longer require HSK examination results and are suitable for international applicants.
General English language requirements for application to English-instructed programs:
- Free English Language testing for students from English speaking countries.
- Free English Language testing for students from countries in which English is the major teaching language on condition that the relevant proof documents were provided.
- TOEFL 550, IELTS 5.5 or Pass University’s entrance examination.
- For details please refer to requirements published by the university.
A good English proficiency is required for application of English-instructed courses, for details please refer to requirements published by the university.